Modern Foreign Languages
You live a new life for every language you speak. If you only know one language, you only live once.
Foreign language learning has been introduced to all primary schools. We recognise its value and will provide Language learning opportunities for all children throughout the school. The main language taught in our school is French, although pupils in Years 5 and 6 also learn Spanish.
Our values and beliefs about primary languages
We believe that the learning of a foreign language provides a valuable educational, social and cultural experience for our pupils, enabling them to:
- Develop key communication skills
- Extend their knowledge of how language works
- Acquire the skills and confidence to learn any language at any time in their life
- Acquire new perspectives on the world
- Develop their understanding of their own cultures and those of others.
The aims of Primary Languages teaching are to:
- foster an interest in language learning by introducing children to other languages in a way that is enjoyable and accessible to all pupils;
- stimulate and encourage children’s curiosity about language and creativity in experimenting with it;
- support oracy and literacy, and in particular develop speaking and listening skills;
- help children develop their awareness of cultural similarities and differences;
- lay the foundations for future language study;