Public Sector Equality Duty
Our school aims to meet its obligations under the public sector equality duty by having due regard to the need to:
- Eliminate discrimination and other conduct that is prohibited by the Equality Act 2010
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
- Foster good relations across all characteristics – between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
LEGISLATION AND GUIDANCE
Our Equality Information and Objectives Policy meets the requirements under the following legislation:
- The Equality Act 2010, which introduced the public sector equality duty and protects people from discrimination
- The Equality Act 2010 (Specific Duties) Regulations 2011, which require schools to publish information to demonstrate how they are complying with the public sector equality duty and to publish equality objectives
This document is also based on Department for Education (DfE) guidance: The Equality Act 2010 and schools.
It also complies with our funding agreement and articles of association.
EQUALITY OBJECTIVES 2022-2025
Objective 1 – Teaching and Learning
Educate pupils about diversity, discrimination and prejudice to promote an improved understanding of community cohesion.
Increase pupils’ understanding of diversity and equality through our teaching across the curriculum and as part of our PHSE and RSE curriculums.
Audit our school resources to ensure that they reflect the diversity of modern Britain and the wider world.
Objective 2 – Pupils’ Achievement
Strive for all pupils regardless of ethnicity, age, gender and ability to make the best progress possible in all aspects of their learning enabling them to achieve the highest possible standards.
Objective 3 – Leadership & Management
Ensure the appointment of staff continues to be in line with equal opportunities legislation and is reflective of the demographics of our local community.
To continually consider how well the school ensures equality of opportunity for all pupils within a positive, inclusive environment.
To ensure all new and existing policies and procedures take account of our commitment to equality