Curriculum & Class Info - Class 1
Our topic for this term is 'Our Local Area'
This is a geography based topic, looking at our school grounds initially, then moving onto Nantwich.
Where appropriate, we will link them to other curriculum areas such as Art and ICT.
Materials and their properties.
Non-fiction- Captions, labels, instructions and invitations.
Narrative - Stories with familiar settings.
Dance, gymnastics and netball.
Key objectives for each unit for the Spring term are outlined below.
Counting in 10's, 5's and 2's.
- Know halves of even numbers to 20.
- Know doubles to 10.
- Add and subtract 10 to a 2 digit number.
- Add 3 single digit number together.
- Use language of day, week, month and year. Tell time to hour and half past.
Number: Place Value.
- Count to 50, forwards and backwards, beginning with 0 or 1, or from any given number.
- Count, read and write numbers to 50 in numerals and words.
- Identify and represent numbers using objects and pictorial representations including the number line, and use the language of: equal to, more than, less than, most and least.
- Given a number, identify 1 more or 1 less.
- Count in multiples of 2's, 5's and 10's.
Number : Addition and subtraction.
- Represent and use number bonds and related subtraction facts within 20.
- Read, write and interpret mathematical statements involving addition (+), subtraction (-) and equals (=) signs.
- Add and subtract one digit and two digit numbers to 20, including zero.
- Solve one step problems that involve addition and subtraction, using concrete objects and pictorial representations and missing number problem.
Measurement: length and height-weight and volume
- Measure and begin to record lengths, weight and height.
Tricky words and spelling.
The children will initially be sent home with tricky words to read from the Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 tricky word list. Once they can confidently read all the words they will then be sent home in their spelling book for them to learn to spell. Spelling Investigation homework will be sent home each week linked to letters and sounds.
Children are responsible for changing their own books, this will usually take place in the morning.
Children will either be heard individually by an adult or in a guided reading group at least once a week.
They will be bench-marked at least once a term. Bench marking will take place when children
demonstrate the necessary skills during guided reading.
PE is on a Wednesday afternoon with Mr.Cura and Thursday morning with Ms Holmes.